We all know that hair transplant is a delicate process that aims to treat the problem of baldness among men and women. Aside from other temporary solutions to hair loss such as medications and tropical creams, hair transplant is a less invasive procedure that is popular for the permanent and excellent results it guarantees. Although the surgery has a rich medical history, the first successful operation was carried in the United States of America back in the mid of the 1950s.
At its early age of development, the dream of having a hair transplant was only available for the wealthiest of people. The very high cost of the surgery and corresponding high demand among patients however did encourage some countries to adopt this procedure and find ways to reduce its very high cost. As of today for example, the cost of hair transplant in Turkey is very affordable as the country contains hundreds of officially approved hair transplant clinics that compete to provide better offers. Particularly, hair transplant in Istanbul today is one the most remarkable fields in the city and has been the first choice for hundreds of thousands of hair loss patients all over the world. Just like the other tourism fields in the city, hair transplant is Istanbul has been recognized as a great contributor to the Turkish budget and economic stability.
The Dos and Don’ts after a Hair Transplant
While the experience and expertise of dermatologist play a critical role in determining the success of the procedure, you can’t ignore the fact that lack of post-transplant care can significantly affect the results.
After getting your hair transplant in Turkey, it is critical to adhere to the dos and don’ts so that it doesn’t turn out to be a waste of time, money and efforts. Let’s look at what needs to be done after FUE transplant
- Keep the scalp dry so that the skin heals up quickly.
- Make sure that the area around the scalp is clean till the time it recovers properly. There’s a possibility that the grafted area will be sore and numb, so don’t put anything on the scalp without consulting the surgeon.
- There might be some itchiness or scarring after the transplant. Apply topical antibiotic cream to prevent infection and reduce swelling or irritation.
- If there is pain or discomfort 3-4 hours after the surgery, it is better to take a painkiller.
- Sleep in a semi-upright position with head elevated with the help of pillows. This will reduce swelling on the scalp. Try sleeping in the same position for 2-3 days.
- Do not skip meeting the surgeon to get bandages removed and hair washed 2-3 days after the procedure.
- Refrain from washing hair under a high-pressure shower. Prefer a low-pressure shower as it will increase the healing process and help scabs to peel off.
- If there’s swelling or bleeding, use an ice pack. However, make sure that you don’t apply an ice pack directly on the transplant area. Place the pack on the back of the head or forehead.
- Avoid strenuous physical activity for the first two weeks to prevent swelling or damage to grafts. You can resume weightlifting or moderate exercise after a month.
- Avoid exposing the scalp to direct sun for more than 30 minutes for the first two weeks. Wear cap or hat for protection.
- Don’t touch the newly-grafted scalp, even if there’s some itchiness or soreness. Rubbing could lead to falling out of grafts.
- Refrain from alcohol consumption for the first five days after the procedure because it can interfere with blood supply to the head.
- Don’t smoke for two weeks because it can interfere with blood flow to hair follicles.
- Don’t engage in activities that might cause excessive sweating because it can increase the risk of infection.
- Don’t blow nose violently or lean forward regularly as this can damage the grafts.
Image source: verywellmind.com
Surgeons often have their own set of post-surgery instructions. Make sure that you stick to them as much as you can. New hair can take anywhere between 3 to 4 months to start growing, so try to follow the care instructions so that the results are better.
FUE is an expensive hair transplant procedure, and all your efforts can go in vain if you fail to take good care of the affected area post-surgery. The article talks about the dos and don’ts to keep in mind after undergoing FUE transplant.